Friday, December 25, 2009

Cancer won't take a holiday this week.
You probably know someone recently diagnosed - I know too many who've heard those ominous words in the last weeks.
I also know many who are gallantly confronting their cancer, determined to join the sixty-two percent of us who shout our survival to the world.
Christmas is an appropriate occasion of course, to remind ourselves - with or without cancer - that each day is a gift from God, from which we should squeese every moment. The day can't be banked for when we're not busy, or for later in life. It's not retreivable. I always beleived of living to the max, and even more so, after my diagnosis and treatment. My motto is borrowed from the inspirational Jean Vanier, "live today well", for this is the only day we can be sure we have.
Take time this holiday season to tell everyone you love, that you love them. Look them in the eye, and tell them they are important to your life. Let them know you care for them and appreciate their thoughtfulness, their affection for you.
My family is like many - we're dysfunctional and all over the place - yet I will ensure I let each of them know I love them. How they helped me through my cancer adventure (the two older granddaughters served me pie and ice cream in the recovery room after surgery!), and give me the reason to cdelebrate each day.
I hope that each one of you finds peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment