Monday, February 22, 2010

Along the walk to the figure skating venue at the Vancouver Winter (???) Olympics!



Hello from Vancouver and the 2010 Winter (???) Olympics!

When originally asked to “blog” from Vancouver I enthusiastically accepted, forgetting entirely that I hate to write. What was I thinking? But, in the spirit of the Olympic Games I will give blogging my best shot!

These are my fourth Olympic Games. I competed in the 1976 Winter Games held in Innsbruck, Austria in ladies figure skating. It was a smaller and more intimate Olympics. We had a total of 1128 athletes (only 228 women!) and here in Vancouver over 2600 athletes will compete. We didn’t feel pressured to win medals and few Canadians did! I believe Canada won only two medals in those Games....Kathy Kreiner in skiing and Toller Cranston in figure skating. One can only imagine the pressure our athletes feel here in Vancouver and the thrill of competing on home turf!

Vancouver is my third Olympics working in television production. The first was Calgary in 1988 and then Lillehamer, Norway in 1994. I work with the director, Michael Lansbury and our goal is to provide the best pictures possible from the figure skating venue to be fed to all the rights holders around the world. My sister, Brenda, tapes the practices and we review the tapes to pre-plan the camera angles for every skater’s performance. It is a long process but are happy with the results....If you watch figure skating, I hope you’re enjoying it!

Before I sign off for today I want to say how truly saddened we were to hear of the passing of figure skater, Joannie Rochette’s mother. My thoughts and prayers are with her so she is able to find the strength to continue on her Olympic path under such painful circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment