Thursday, February 18, 2010

What do you mean I have to raise $2,000?



Yes, a small provision of the weekend to End Breast Cancer (WEBC) is that every walker must raise at least $2,000.

Is this easy? For some yes, for some maybe not so much. Is fighting breast cancer easy? I can’t even say for some yes, for some not so much. Given the choice to raise $2,000 or to be told I have cancer and know that I am in for the fight of my life, I’d take stepping outside my comfort zone and asking someone to support my incredible journey. I can’t even imagine how far outside my comfort zone I would be if I were to hear the words “Shelly you have cancer.” It’s a phrase 4 in every 10 women will hear in their lifetime.
One of best things about experiencing the weekend as part of a team is you hear first hand all the unique fundraising ideas that people have. Just like every business, all it takes is creativity and passion.





We have two eighteen year old young ladies who raised over $600.00 at a school bake sale. They had so much fun! What a perfect opportunity for them. Food and teenage boys – a winning combination! One team member puts jelly beans in a jar and sells ”guesses” on the number of beans in the jar! Brilliant!! Two of our team members sell pink ribbon merchandise outside the mall and raised enough for their $2,000 commitment and have money left over to help some of our team members. One lady sells chips and chocolate bars at work. Again what’s with the food? But it works, everyone has to eat. Some of us (who shall remain nameless) bought a dozen CASES of chocolate bars with the plan of going door to door. Well- the chocolate bars never left her house. (That explains where those extra 10 pounds came). But luckily, walking doesn’t just fund breast cancer research, it also burns calories.
There are those who have dinner parties, wine tasting, bake sale, donate a portion of their new business revenue to their walk, business referral program, contests, raffles, cocktail parties (and who doesn’t love cocktails?), art sale, garage sale, auction, ice cream party, Tupperware party benefits ... the list goes on and on and on.

I understand that asking for money is not easy. Neither is fighting cancer. I keep in mind that I am not asking for money for me … but asking to save someone’s life. You will be doing it so that your children, and your grand children don’t have to hear the words – “You have cancer.”
I start my fundraising efforts right after Christmas, just before the Visa statements come in and when everyone is still warm with the Christmas glow! The Weekend to End Breast Cancer team wants us to be successful and provides us with so many tools to achieve this success. They provide us with sample fundraising letters, a wonderful message board where other people have posted ideas and suggestions.
I keep several things in mind when I start my fundraising efforts – a) I’m not asking for myself, and b) the answer is always no unless you ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment