Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I'm Brenda and I'm a survivor

My name is Brenda Troke – Ottawa, ON (Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Survivor).  I was diagnosed with Stage 2a, September 2008.  I was in chemo Nov 5, 2008 to February 9, 2009.  At the end of December 2008, I had a CT and PET scan to see how chemo was working...

To my surprise, my scans came back clean.  What? Are you serious?  From disbelief to excitement.  Neither my sister or I could believe it.  After just 3 chemotherapy treatments, I was already cancer free.  Could this be possible? Does this happen to other people? I had a total of 7 treatments, only!

After finding out in January 2009 that I was doing so well, my friend Drew said to me… “Why don’t we have a party (Survivorship Social) for you when this is all over?”  Drew and I talked it out, and at the end I decided that I didn’t want the party to be just about me.  I wanted it to be about a celebration for everyone being touched by “C” ancer.  I then approached The Cancer Foundation with my plan, and Survivorship Social Cancer Fundraiser was born! 

No comments:

Post a Comment