Monday, May 31, 2010

Breast cancer doesn't define who I am...

Breast cancer doesn’t define who I am. However, it does play a big part in what I’m about to tell you...

I was diagnosed in early 2004 with a very aggressive form of invasive breast cancer; as a result, I had the ‘full-meal deal’ of breast cancer treatment: surgery, then chemotherapy, followed by many rounds of radiation. Every step of the way, whether at the Ottawa Regional Cancer Centre or the Winchester District Memorial Hospital, the care that I received was nothing short of outstanding.

About a year after I had completed my treatment, one of my very good friends (who also just happened to be my chemotherapy nurse at the Winchester District Memorial Hospital) talked me into going with her to a meeting to hear about what was then called The Weekend to End Breast Cancer. A group of women who worked at the hospital were forming a team, and they were looking for people to join them. To be honest, I didn’t really want to go… it was all still a little too fresh for me, and I hadn’t yet quite figured out how to go on living my life. Nevertheless, I went to the meeting, thinking that I could just sign up to help with the fundraising, and perhaps avoid having to put myself “out there” as a survivor.

What is it they say about best laid plans? Oh, right. They go awry. My plans sure did that! I went to that first meeting of the team that became the ‘Winchester Hospital Heelers’ – and those women were just so much fun, and so determined to make a difference – that I caught their enthusiasm bug. I am proud to say that I’ve been a part of that team ever since, and we are really making a difference – contributing in a meaningful way. In my blog posts this week, I’ll be telling you more about our team, the wonderful people I’ve met, and what we’ve been able to do for the ORCF and our local community. 

2007 Winchester Hospital Heelers:

No comments:

Post a Comment