Thursday, May 27, 2010

Getting up close and personal with cancer had a lasting impact on me

Getting up close and personal with cancer had a lasting impact on me. I wanted to reach out and support those living with cancer and help give other families the happy ending that my family got. I had been involved with a few cancer fundraisers during high school, but I began to actively seek out new ways to get involved after my Mom was diagnosed. I had participated in a 12-hour overnight fundraiser run by the Canadian Cancer Society called Relay for Life in high school. After finding out that Carleton University did not have a Relay for Life, I emailed the Cancer Society to inquire about starting a Relay on campus. They told me that they had already been contacted by two students who had already begun the organization process. Over the last year, I joined a group of 30 devoted and enthusiastic Carleton students who joined together to create something amazing. Together, we organized Carleton University's first ever Relay for Life. We had almost 400 people register and we raised nearly 50 000$ in one night. The funds we raised will go to improving patient support and supporting research. Joining a group of such passionate and engaged young people was an experience that I will never forget.

Many survivors and caregivers just want to move on and never think about cancer again once they are done treatment. For me, joining the cancer community as a volunteer has been a very positive experience. It has allowed me to meet so many wonderful people who share the same passion for supporting those touched by cancer. The feeling of coming together to achieve a common goal has helped me to move on and embrace my new role as a former caregiver. I choose to volunteer because no patient, survivor or caregiver should ever feel alone. Whatever your reason, volunteering with organizations like the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation can be a very positive experience. My suggestion to those thinking of getting involved as a volunteer in the cancer community would be to try out different organizations and events until you find the right fit for you. Give it a try, you may be surprised by how much it inspires you!

No comments:

Post a Comment