Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Do It For Dad Participant Pam MacCormack

 
I had so many incredible "Dads" help me lose an amazing amount of weight (150 lbs.) and thus saved my life. ..so now I run the 5K.."Do It For Dad"..race..to fund the research to cure prostate cancer..maybe by running I will help save the life of someone's Dad...

A few years ago I weighed over 300 pounds. I had so many health issues. I felt there was little hope to turn things around. My mother had died of stomach cancer, my best friend Louise had died of esophageal cancer and my Uncle Tommy Coughlin is still fighting prostate cancer. Now my own health was fading. I used to dream of being able to walk, and to do so without a cane or back brace.

Then I met Dr. Douglas Bishop who also had had cancer hit his family. With kindness, compassion and inspiration he guided me on an incredible weight loss journey. Dan Beamish, an exceptional personal trainer never gave up on me.  My old friend Alan Budd, who had cancer hit his immediate family, introduced me to the Running Room and to walking and running. Ray Zahab who ran the Sahara desert, with an incredibly busy schedule still made time to chat with me over coffee and inspire me to keep going. Amazing Dads..all of them.
Last year I was, invited by Bruce Walker (who had matched me up with my personal trainer) to walk the "Do It For Dad" race.. and the most amazing moment in the race was when I looked across the race route..and there was Dr. Bishop waving to me as he ran the 10K...we were in the same race.!!!!.So this year because I owe my new found life to these "Dads" I am "learning to RUN..at age 61" to fund research to cure prostate cancer.... because even though cancer hit the family and friends of many of these Dads..they took the time to help me, to fight obesity and regain my health.. so I believe that with the advances in cancer research and technology, and the powerful weapon of HOPE..we will find a cure....

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I am so happy that I've seen this post. My stomach cancer alternative treatment center appreciates this so much. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really a matter of co-ordination within dads and others.
    car duster - interior and exterior, original and the best that beat California car duster>>https://goo.gl/kNO2dP

    ReplyDelete