Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Life Lesson #4: Things happen for a reason

I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason. If I had not been diagnosed with cancer, I imagine that my life would be much different than it is now. I would not have met some of the people I now know, nor would I be where I am at this point in my life. There are many thoughts of "..what if?"


But to put things in perspective, something good has come out of something bad. I have had the opportunity to do things that I would have never had the chance to - all because of cancer. I was able to be interviewed by Tic at CKCU 93.1fm at Carleton University along with Linda Eagen, the CEO and President of the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation. I will be writing an upcoming piece for Courage magazine and I will also have the opportunity to be featured in a commercial and ad campaign. I'm also wrapping up my first book - a memoir about my defeats and triumphs with cancer. I'm sure if cancer had never been a part of my life, there would be other things to write about, but as I said before, cancer touches everyone at some point in their lives.

There is certainly nothing glamorous about cancer and by no means am I using the fact that I am a cancer survivor to help me get ahead in any way. I am very proud to share my story as long as it means I am helping someone else cope a bit better, or maybe a young cancer victim can now relate to my story.

I am participating in the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation's Underwear Affair, presented by Mark's on September 11th and I am really looking forward to walking the 5K. Our community will come together and it will be a great time. Bring your family and friends, and if you haven't signed up already - go for it. You have nothing to lose, and everything to give. As a cancer survivor and a family member of those who are still fighting - it means as much to me as anyone else. Tomorrow will be my last blog entry for this week, and I really hope you enjoyed reading what I had to say. I would be glad to answer any questions you have for me, so please feel free to leave comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment