Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Letter to Nan

My grandmother, whom I affectionately call Nan, is currently battling with skin cancer. What started as a wee discolouration of her nose has, despite treatment, morphed into terrible tumours upon much of her face. The following is a copy of the letter I wrote and posted to her early in the New Year:


January 13, 2011



Nan,

Some of my earliest and fondest memories are of attending church with you, sitting next to you, listening intently, singing along, and, at that young age perhaps even making a bit too much noise or playing a game. In fact, I'd have to say most all of my memories of you are fond. From eating your scrumptious cakes and pies to enjoying a friendly game of cards, towing along with you on walks in the park, and travelling to Halifax--even simply spending time together, I recall all of this with fondness. Similarly, you are in my thoughts now.

Mom's recent ordeal with cancer was painful, agonizing, and filled with fears. It becomes all too easy to lose hope and become downtrodden faced with that diagnosis. Mom's battle, however, taught me some valuable lessons. I learned not to take anything for granted, to live each day to the fullest and to be grateful for all the blessings in my life and for the new ones that manifest daily. It also taught me that this battle can be beaten.

My thoughts are not only of the memories but also of you. Whether you know it or not, you've had a tremendous influence on my life and you've been an inspiration. You are a strong woman who raised five beautiful children on the rugged out port shores of Newfoundland with modest resources. Yet you always managed to provide love, kindness and support. You've always been deeply involved in service both to your community and to the Church, lending a hand wherever and whenever it was necessary. You could always be counted on. By example, you instilled in all of us the values of commitment, hard work, integrity and service. And your values of honesty, compassion, kindness and love inspire me even today.

I am wishing and praying for a speedy recovery and thinking of you at this time. Although I do not get to see or to talk to you as often as I would like, please know that you are always in my heart. I hope you have an enjoyable Christmas time, surrounded by family and friends, and I look forward to seeing you in the New Year.

Love, always,

Elliott

No comments:

Post a Comment