Tuesday, December 8, 2009

This is very fun and exciting to be able to share some of our ideas around the holidays via this Blog. In addition to our own foodthoughts, we rely heavily on good resources, information and ideas from marketing boards, cookbook authors, foodies and food writers so that we can interpret and pass the best ideas on to you!
After attending Dr. Richard Beliveau’s seminar on “Cooking with Foods that Fight Cancer”, I had a renewed interest in looking at food as pleasurable medicine. Everything we eat has a direct affect on our bodies either positive, negative or a little of both. As a healthy person who understands and consumes nutritious foods, I try not to worry too much about the little indiscretions but I have been trying a little harder to squeeze in that little bit of nutrition into the less virtuous foods to offset my indulgences.
Over the next few days I will share themed ideas focusing on one food or food group to entertain or help you over the Christmas and Holiday season.

Here are a few delicious and easy apps and recipes that are both tempting, indulgent and good for you.
Walnuts are the topic of conversation for today. Walnuts being the only nut with a significant amount of omega-3 fatty acids make it the nut of choice for the Cancer Blog. Omega-3 fatty acids are known to help lower cholesterol and help reduce the risk for heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity and clinical depression. By eating a handful of walnuts each day (about 8 -10 walnut halves) you are getting the omega 3’s that you need along with the feeling of happiness in your belly.

When buying walnuts look for California or US on the packaging.
California walnuts are harvested between August and November each year and then stored in temperature-controlled environments and shipped on demand, year-round,
thus ensuring a sweet mellow flavour. To keep them from becoming bitter store walnuts in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 6 months or freezer for up to 1 year.

I love to set out my walnut halves and then think of the 100’s of ways that I can simply add them to my meals and snacks that day.
I have to admit my favourite is:
- 4 squares dark chocolate broken into 8 pieces to eat with 8 walnut halves. If I am happy with my snack I stop looking for other foods so while it may seem a little indulgent it’s really not! You could even melt your chocolate in the microwave and dunk it, but I like the crunchiness and the chocolate melting in my mouth

Other little taste treats to effortlessly assemble:
- Arugala topped with a nib of blue cheese and half a walnut pressed in to the cheese topped with freshly ground pepper.


Apple slice topped with chevre cheese, crumbled walnuts a drizzle of honey and freshly ground pepper



Ok the possibilities are endless and I would love for you to share some of your simple recipes with walnuts or how you liked my ideas!! Go to www.foodthought.com to contact me! I’ll share your ideas with my foodthought group on twitter.

Here are some HOLIDAY HORS D’OEUVRES that I have made twice now. I love them both as they are make ahead and freeze for later use. They are both recipes that I make at the holiday time but the addition of walnuts takes them up a notch in my mind, I hope you like them too. Find the recipes on www.walnutinfo.com along with many, many others. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy Cooking 
korey and the foodthought team

Pork Dumplings with Walnut Sauce: Serve these delectable appetizers with savoury walnut sauce to add a modern twist to this classic combination of Chinese flavours.


California Walnut Savoury Scones: The addition of California walnuts and thyme add a distinctive holiday twist to these fluffy, buttery scones. The dough can be prepared a day ahead and kept in the refrigerator - all you have to do is pop them in the oven when your guests arrive and serve with your favourite fillings or toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment