Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 2: Victim to Victory

To overcome my eating, weight and life outlook problems, I reflected back to my cancer experience to better understand the thinking and behaviour patterns I adopted to win my battle with cancer. I learned so much about myself in that time in terms of courage, faith, resilience and determination. I learned positive living strategies to fight off the negative emotions of fear, worry and anxiety that only rob you of the positive energy you need to fight the fight. Now the question was how to maintain those lessons and apply them to every area of my life for the rest of my life. That was to be the key to my healthy weight and positive lifestyle journey.

One of the key lessons I learned through my cancer experience was that my attitude of Self-Reliance was not helping me. I had always been the kind of person who didn’t like asking others for help. I always wanted to appear strong and independent and hated the idea of being a burden on others. I always felt that by asking others for help I would appear weak and needy and people wouldn’t like me that way. And so, I would prefer to do everything myself rather than reach out for help. When I found myself taking a city bus to my chemotherapy treatments because I didn’t want to ask anyone for a ride and could not afford a taxi at the time, I didn’t even think anything of it until someone asked me how I was getting to and from my treatments.

www.roslynfranken.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment