Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 3: Victim to Victory

When I told her I was taking the city bus, she was mortified and insisted on being my ride. My automatic reaction was to say “No, no, that’s okay, I’m fine.” She did not let up and I finally accepted her offer. That was when I had my epiphany. It suddenly hit me that maybe she WANTED to help me. Maybe by doing this for me, it would make her feel good. I realized that I was always there to help my friends so why should I not allow them to be there for me in my time of need? Was I not worthy of their help, support and attention? I realized that by accepting her offer it did not make me weak or needy. Instead it made me human. I realized that there was absolutely no shame in receiving assistance and support from others. I did not have to walk along my path alone. I was finally able to let go.
Now as a cancer survivor who has also overcome my struggles with food, weight and poor lifestyle management, my passion is to be that person who others can rely on for help, support and encouragement in overcoming their similar food, weight and life management struggles. My message to you is you don’t have to fight your fight alone, whether it is solely with cancer or any other health and lifestyle issue you are seeking to overcome. If you are stuck in your own Pity Party, then it’s time to stop. Self-pity is only going to steal away the positive energy your spirit needs to keep your fight alive. If you are feeling alone in your fight, then reach out for help and support. Give yourself permission to share your emotions and let someone be there to simply listen or just hold you or give you the strategic insights you need to step out of your pity party and connect with your own inner strength and courage. It is okay to “feel”. If you are not doing a great job with eating properly, getting some form of regular physical activity and getting enough good quality sleep and rest, then again, reach out for help and get the help you need so that you feel you are doing whatever is in your control to fight your fight as best you can. It is not about being perfect. It is simply about doing your best and being as kind to your body, mind and spirit as you can.

www.roslynfranken.com

No comments:

Post a Comment