Monday, March 15, 2010

"Papa"

George Imbeault was a pilot who fought for Canada in World War II. After the war, he became one of the "Original 6" Canadian Tire owners which led to him owning a chain of hardware stores. He was a husband for 54 years, a father to four and grandfather to six children. He was a devout philanthropist belonging to the Lions Club and Kiwanis Organizations and he himself presented Terry Fox with a cheque during his run across Canada(image below). He was all of these things, but to me, he was my grandfather who would sit us grandchildren down individually to teach us how to budget,to save and supplied each of us with a copy of The Wealthy Barber. He was a very kind and thoughtful man. The best advice he gave me is when I was in my twenties and after breaking up with a girl I asked him how his marriage lasted so long and expressed how I just couldn't "figure women out." He replied with a simple "don't try to figure them out, just try to make them happy. Life is simpler this way."

"Papa" died from liver cancer quietly in his home in Greely with many of us in the room. Looking back, I am glad we all got the chance to say goodbye. My grandfather was my inspiration in becoming an entrepreneur and his work both ethically and philanthropically lives on in my actions. I've since lost five more family and friends to this disease and I make it a personal challenge to keep myself involved in the fight and to try to inspire others to do the same. When I read about breakthroughs, like the decoding of the DNA of a lobular breast cancer tumour at UBC last year, I feel myself smile and give a private Michael Jordan/Wayne Gretzky fist pump. Being involved makes me feel like I am a part of the fight. I'm in the game and all of my hard work is not just for a better life for me and my family, but rather recognizes that we are all in this together. And to be clear, it's not about "giving back," it's simply about giving.

Fight For The Cure

In 2008, when my friends and partners (Matt Whitteker and Eric Belanger) came up with the idea for Fight For The Cure Charity Boxing Gala with the proceeds going to the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation, I was immediately on board and I continue to co-chair the event with them to this day. I've been involved in boxing for a dozen years now and the potential to help the foundation just felt like a great fit. We feature what we call "White Collar" fights where local executives, entrepreneurs and celebrities, after training with us at Final Round, jump in the ring and fight an exhibition bout. The Chair of the Cancer Foundation at the time, Walter Robinson, led the charge and has since become a little addicted to the boxing training, as most do, and he will be fighting for the third year in a row. It is a formal, four course dinner and this year will showcase three of white collar matches as well as a few of our own nationally ranked amateur boxers. It will be held on March 27th, 2010 at the Hampton Inn Conference Centre with the Heart & Crown Irish Pubs stepping up in their second year as our headline sponsor. More information can be found at www.fightforthecure.ca. This week I will be blogging a little more about the event, its participants and maybe even a bit more about myself.

Rob Imbeault

The quickest way to happiness is to help deliver it to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment