Friday, March 19, 2010

Message from the boys

Hello All,
Thank you for reading my blog posts this week. I enjoyed writing them even though it was a little intimidating to try to follow Greg Hebert, an incredible writer with a powerful message. I'd like to share this last post with my partners, Matt Whitteker and Eric Belanger. Thank you again for "tuning in." (Did I just age myself?)

--------------------------------------------------------
Excited

With Fight for The Cure 3 just eight days away I’m in a state of sheer excitement. To specify exactly which part of the event has me so sleepless is tough to pin down precisely. For one, in our third year I’m able to say that myself along with co founders Rob Imbeault, Eric Belanger and Scott Whitteker (year 1) are ecstatic about the community support we’ve received and we’re looking at a sell out event! Secondly, my regular correspondence, coaching and organizing the “white collar” boxers /boxing part of the event has been an incredible experience but I can say undoubtedly that I’m nervous for “my guys” having their first official boxing match. Finally the sheer buzz around the city for the Third Annual Fight for the Cure is overwhelming. With an estimated six media appearances and features leading up to the event the city of Ottawa has clearly embraced the event we’ve worked so hard to build.

This has truly been an outstanding experience which has been made possible by some exceptional people that we’ve met along the way. Sleep hours will be few, and the final preparations will be many but all will be more than worth it come March 27 watching “my guys” step into the ring for the first time to raise money for one incredible fight.

- Matt Whitteker

--------------------------------------------------------
Why we do it - Eric Belanger

Just over 3 years ago now Matt and I sat down and decided to kick off a major fundraising event in support of a charity. A charity of choice is often a personal decision and with so many great causes out there, we went through a priority process. First and formost we wanted to keep it local along with many other factors, we decided on the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation. Like most of you here and as it’s been said before, cancer has affected us in some form or another and will most likely continue to do so in the years to come. It is a battle that most are considered the underdog to win. Personally, as head coach at Final Round Boxing, I help people win battles daily with life, health and of course inside the ropes. Being competitive by nature, a good challenge and being considered the underdog is something I am always up for and am often confident to come out on top. The battle called cancer is no exception, I am confident that if we all do what we are capable of doing, whether it be organize or participate and support an event such as Fight For the Cure, being the scientist in the lab or the caring doctor at the patient’s bedside, we will win. And I look forward to the day where Matt, Rob and I must revisit our event in search of a new challenge and celebrate our victory!

In 8 days from now you will witness a community come together for one unique night and take a step forward towards that victory. Personally, I would like to thank ALL of our sponsors, specifically the Heart and Crown along with everyone who has worked so hard to make this event a sure success. The volunteer boxers who have trained day in and day out, the volunteer officials and referees donating their time, the ORCF staff and volunteers, all Final Round Boxing members and volunteers, and of course, our white collar boxers who have spent the last few months in training, taking the risk of stepping into that ring and participating in our fight for the cure in a way only few can ever experience.

- Eric Belanger
--------------------------------------------------------

I've mentioned the Heart & Crown a lot this week, but I'd like to quickly thank our other sponsors that are helping make Fight For The Cure a success this year.

Hampton Inn Conference Centre - www.hamptoninnottawa.com
Konica Minolta - www.konicaminolta.ca
Ottawa Business Journal - www.obj.ca
Mezzanotte - www.mezzanotte-bistro.com
Enviropure - www.enviropurehome.com
Fari Detailing - www.fari.ca
Carried Away Gift Baskets - http://tr.im/SmNZ
Empire Grill - www.empiregrill.com
Soma Health & Fitness - www.somahealthandfitness.com

See you Ringside!!!

Rob Imbeault

No comments:

Post a Comment