Friday, April 30, 2010

my life after cancer

Remission, it’s a pretty cool word, and an amazing feeling. I am officially in remission now, and funny thing is, my life hasn’t changed all that much. While undergoing surgery, treatment, etc, I tried to live the same life as I would have had I not been dumped on by the “big C”. Although, I must say it has changed my perspective on life…”get’r done” kind of attitude – life’s too short to wait around worrying about the what-if’s and the “can I really do that right now?”

All in all it was an eye opening experience…even a learning experience. I was able to fine-tune my time management skills, I mean, I had to plan study time and assignment time around surgery, radiation and frequent doctor’s appointments…and oh yeah, work. All in all, it was a great experience to learn and reintroduce myself to…myself!

Life post-treatment/cancer is pretty routine for someone my age - working, friends, etc. Some days I am extra tired…I mean, life is better with a thyroid…but I can’t grow mine back. I still have doctor’s appointments and blood work to do every six months or so, but nothing too crazy! It’s funny, to describe how I deal with life after cancer. I mean, I go about my daily business and don’t think too much about it; I’m not the kind of person to let an obstacle get in my way. I really forget all about it until someone mentions it, or asks me about the scar – you should see the other guy; it was a knife fight of epic proportions!

Today, I am loving life, working hard and fulfilling my goals…one very small step at a time! I can offer one piece of advice to anyone who is battling through it, or family/friends of those affected by any form of this disease: Don’t change your life, live like you’d normally live and then kick it up a notch! After all, it takes more energy to feel bad/sad than it does to feel good, so live your life to the fullest no matter what life throws at you, even if it is the “big C!”

No comments:

Post a Comment