Monday, May 3, 2010

My name is Kim. I'm a nurse a CHEO.

My name is Kim McMillan and I’ve been in the “Cancer World” for 3 years now. My role is a Pediatric Oncology/ Bone Marrow transplant Nurse. I started at the Alberta Children’s Hospital in Calgary as a new graduate 3 years ago this Month. I worked in Calgary where we cared for children with all types of cancer and provided stem cell transplants for children with a type of leukemia that is most responsive to transplants.

I have also enjoyed working as a camp Nurse at Cancer Camp in the summers, especially out at the Camp Horizon site in Kananaskis. It’s humbling to see patients, their siblings and any other children affecting by cancer at camp, learning, growing and having fun. It’s a beautiful thing to see children I cared for in the hospital at their sickest times now out playing and laughing and loving life just like any other kid.

After 2 years of Calgary I decided I wanted to explore the rest of Canada, as travelling is my passion, and I am blessed to have a job that allows me to do that. After chatting with my long distance best friend who had always lived in Ottawa, and professes it is the most beautiful city in Canada I decided I should see for myself! I packed up my things, and drove out to Ottawa in late August and with the help of my best friend, I had an apartment waiting for me when I got here. I’m pretty sure my best friend was right, Ottawa is beautiful!

I am currently working at CHEO in the inpatient oncology unit and have been since September 2009. It’s great to see how another hospital works, the similarities and the differences when caring for the same population of Patients. The nurses, as with any oncology unit I have worked on are wonderful, amazing and always inspiring!
Stay tuned for tomorrow’s edition....and you'll learn why!

No comments:

Post a Comment