Friday, January 7, 2011

A POST-BREAST CANCER CHALLENGE: FINDING A SWIMSUIT

I was put on my first diet when I was nine years old, and, ever since, I have felt that bathing suits highlight everything that's wrong about my long-torsoed, generally plus-sized body. Then, when I lost a breast to cancer in 2006, finding a suit that fits went from frustrating to downright traumatic.

I have not had reconstruction and I need a suit that will work whether or not I wear a prosthetic breast form. I hate the damn thing, (you try walking around with a gummy, heavy, fake thing plastered to your chest wall), and wear it as little as possible. I cannot even imagine swimming with it, picturing myself emerging from the pool, prosthesis askew - I like to call it “boobs akimbo” - or worse, having the form fall out altogether. (I once heard a great story about an elderly lady losing her prosthesis in the pool and remarking, “Oh goodness! It's doing the breast stroke all by itself!”) At the very least, I think it would be uncomfortable.


The last time I needed a new suit, after my mastectomy in 2006, I ordered dozens of suits online, tried them all on and then returned all but two - one for swimming and a mastectomy suit for splashing around on the beach or sitting on a dock. This turned out to be in an expensive enterprise, so when I needed a new suit this year, I decided to be brave and face fitting room contortions - and the fitting room mirror.

I rejected suits that didn't cover my scars, that were two big, too small or both at the same time. I worked up a sweat trying to get tangled bathing suit straps over my shoulders, often resulting in a look that was reminiscent of a wrestling uniform. I cried a little bit. Regular suits left me feeling too exposed and mastectomy suits bagged on the chest when I was not wearing a breast form.

I eventually found success in a mastectomy boutique, settling on a tankini. The top is relatively flattering and covers everything that ought to be covered (including my post-pregnancy tummy.) I haven't been swimming with it yet and am fervently hoping that I won't end up with the top around my neck if I try to swim a couple of lengths.

I ended up buying two bottoms, one for swimming and a skirt that covers the cottage cheese that seems to have accumulated on my legs. If I stand up straight, suck in my stomach and glance quickly in the mirror, I actually look OK.

The whole thing was a fairly significant financial setback and the experience wasn't one I care to repeat any time soon. One bathing suit will have to be enough for me.

Why does this all have to be so hard? I know I need to work on accepting my body as it is, with all its lumps and bumps and missing bits but it would be nice if finding a suit that fits (and doesn't cost the earth) could be a reasonable goal for every woman.

3 comments:

  1. Good that you have at least the swimsuit that you like after all the excavation.There aren't too many flattering products for the purpose though...there is an option reconstructing your breast again if you want to.

    breast reconstruction surgery Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice blog. I really enjoyed reading it.
    Breast augmentation surgeon

    ReplyDelete