Wednesday, January 5, 2011

THEY TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOU THERE.

I have a chemotherapy and Herceptin treatment tomorrow. And as always after a bit of a break, I'm very reluctant to go spend a day at the cancer centre and then come home feeling lousy.

But of course I'll go and with only a few complaints. After all, I'm alive because of these treatments – and pretty happy most of the time.

There are advantages to having been in chemo treatment for several years. I'm comfortable in the cancer centre and find it to be a bright and generally welcoming place (much less crowded and quieter than the old centre and well worth having endured the many long months of construction noise).

I know many of the staff now, too and I appreciate what a compassionate and skilled team of people work as admin staff, nurses, porters, cleaners, doctors and volunteers.

I have my routine. I bring my pink electric blanket (donated to the cancer centre and won in a raffle), my ipod, knitting, snacks and a water bottle. And I almost always bring a friend.

Sometimes, I see the groups of new patients going through the chemo room, taking the tour after their orientation session. So many look frightened as they face the unknown.

And I remember what it was to be in their shoes.

I try to make eye contact and smile reassuringly. What I want to do is give them a hug and say, “Don't worry. It won't be so bad. They'll take good care of you here.”

To follow Laurie please see her pesonal blog at http://notjustaboutcancer.blogspot.com/ and she is also the author of the book 'Not Done Yet:Living with Breast Cancer'

1 comment:

  1. What an absolutely vivid and accurate picture you paint of that whole experience.

    You are a master, Laurie.

    ReplyDelete