Tuesday, March 30, 2010

"I didn't know I had that in me"

"I didn't know I had that in me."
Through no one's fault but his own, Walter Robinson got in the ring at Fight For The Cure on Saturday for a third in a row and this time it was a real fight! This was no exhibition like the two previous years. George Boszormeny (Owner of Castor HVAC and President of the Entrepreneurs Organization) gave Walter all he could handle right out of the gate! I stood ringside as at about 30 seconds in, a frustrated and seemingly surprised Walter put his hands down, shook his head and reset. The two men fought it out and it was a great fight! Walter got the split-decision victory, but they both brought victory to the night. I asked Walter how was feeling the next morning and he responded "I didn't know I had that in me." This sentiment is what stands as the credo of the ORCF survivorship message. The boxing is analogous to the FIGHT cancer patients have to endure and is the reason these guys get in the ring. I think the message Walter and the Foundation is sending is two-fold: "you're stronger than you think" and "you are not alone."

Character
The event was an astounding success and something I noticed as it happened throughout the night that gave gave me a sense of enormous pride and encouragement was the 50/50 draw. We could barely keep up with sales. The attendees had purchased their tickets to be there which are not inexpensive, they purchased many items from the silent auction then went back in their wallets and bought 50/50 tickets as if they were life-jackets on the Titanic. I already knew the rock-solid character of our fighters, our volunteers, our committee, the sponsors, but how incredible is it that you can see the transparent supportive character of our attendees. I applaud you all! You blew me away. Also, the winner of the 50/50 draw donated half of his winnings right back to the event.

Volunteers
How can you thank people that come in on their own volition just to help? Guys, if you all had not been a part of this incredible event it would not have reached the level it reached. I completely demonstrated my total lack of ticket organization and you guys absolutely saved the night! Every volunteer was amazing! Thank you all!!! And I promise that we will be better prepared next year with our lessons learned. Morgan, thank you!

Sponsors
The Heart & Crown was, of course, awesome. The Hampton's Suzanne and Mowsen and the rest of the staff we're incredible. Konica-Minolta, who came to us and said "We want to help", were great and I hope had a great time ringside, thank you Andre. The OBJ, Boxing Ontario and all the door prizes that were given, thank you. In an event where I feel I should be thanking them (which of course I did), each and every sponsor thanked ME for letting them be a part of the event. I think we may have something here.
A special note, the Heart & Crown gave every attendee a $25 gift certificate to their restaurant and a $50 gift certificate to every volunteer and boxer at the event. At every turn I got a call from them asking "What else can we do?" These guys are a class act all the way!


If I forgot to thank anybody, my apologies and I owe you a drink.  I think you know where…

No comments:

Post a Comment