Thursday, December 9, 2010

The power of positivity

We've all known a person who complains about everything. I would think that all of us also realized at some point that this person was not the most pleasant to be around. But it's not always as simple to recognize how pleasant it can be to be around someone who is too busy being positive to complain!

I was reminded by a loved one the other day just how pleasant it is. Positivity is infectious, not only between people, but within a person. It makes us forget about our problems for a moment and think about others. Then it makes us realize how fortunate we are to our loved ones in our lives, and that makes them feel appreciated and even more loved, and then they show us that love in return. At the end of the day, we get what we give. I, for one, am of the opinion that the most important thing is love, because that's where the good things in life come from.


Positivity is something that I'm always working on myself. While I try to focus on the positive things in my life, I also have to remind myself sometimes that complaining about things does not make them better (whereas focusing on the bright side very often does). The silver lining is not always easy to find, but when you do find it, you begin to find that many more things had silver linings than you had imagined!

One thing I know I'm intensely grateful for is the support that I've received from so many people over the past weeks. I may have raised money and planned to donate my hair for others, but I also got so much more out of it than I can express. For starters, I got the amazing feeling of knowing that love and kindness is alive and well in the people all around me, including the complete strangers who made sacrifices of their own to help me. I will remember all of my supporters fondly, and they're memories that I know I'll keep with me for many years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment