Monday, December 6, 2010

What hope means to me.

I'm a busy woman. I study full-time as a Ph. D. student at the University of Ottawa and I teach Spanish classes three days a week. At the same time, I decided to begin a fundraiser for the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation. Many people thought I was crazy. "Where are you going to find the time?" they would ask me. But important things aren't hard to find the time for. Helping to bring cancer patients closer to the treatments they need is something that I'm really excited about. I'm a firm believer that helping people is good for the soul. There is simply nothing more rewarding than seeing someone smile when they discover that there is hope!




Someone once told me, "Hope is for sick people and losers." I cannot disagree more. Hope is an amazing thing, most especially when combined with dedication and hard work. It's what keeps a smile on our faces when things aren't going well. It's what makes us keep trying when we're knocked down. We hope that our actions will yield the results that we're aiming for. We hope that the people around us will be on our side when it matters the most. We don't have control over everything in life, but we do have control over how we look at the world. I am one who hopes.



It is with that in mind that I set a substantial fundraising goal and pledged to cut off my 3-foot-long hair for cancer patients. Yes, I have been working hard, but I also have hope. I hope that the people who hear about my goal (or others like mine) pay a moment of attention to an amazing cause. I hope that somewhere someone in need of a wig is as excited as I am about what I'm doing. And most importantly, I hope that others will see what can be accomplished when we put our minds to something!

No comments:

Post a Comment